A brief history of the Wiliamson's settlement in the Peak Hill/Tullamore District
James & Margaret came to live here from Northern Ireland, via the goldmines of the Oxley district in Victoria then as landholders from Jerilderie, NSW.
Margaret Ann Kidd
James & Margaret had 10 children in total, 5 boys and 5 girls - although sadly both Hannah & Margaret died of diptheria. Both girls are buried at Jerilderie.
James Blackwood Williamson
Joseph Henry "Harry" Williamson
1869 - 1949
1870 - 1949
1874 - 1956
1876 - 1956
Joseph Henry "Harry"
1878 - 1919
1880 - 1928
1884 - 1958
1886 - 1963
SETTLEMENT IN THE PEAK HILL/TULLAMORE DISTRICT
James & Margaret Williamson were pioneers in the North West of the Peak Hill district, taking up previously unsettled land in 1886.
They took up 4 blocks of land of 2560 acres each. Each block comprised of 640 acres conditional purchase and 1920 acres conditional lease. The law required that someone live on each block, so in order to abide by this the Warge Rock homestead was built on the corners of the 4 properties. By the time of his death in 1912 James has set up his 5 sons on adjoining properties.
These were as follows:
Warge Rock - Gordon Williamson
Wilga Park - James Blackwood Williamson
Glenconnor - Robert John Williamson
Aurora Park - Harry (Joseph Henry) Williamson
Genaren was purchased for Simpson Morrison Williamson in 1909
FROM WARGE ROCK TO WILGA PARK
Daughter to Hugh & Wilhelmina Arthur nee Houston
James Blackwood Williamson
James Blackwood Williamson married Mina Arthur of "Curra" Peak Hill in 1901, at Parkes NSW.
They had 4 children, James Arthur, Wilhelmina, Margaret Jean and William Blackwood, born between 1903 and 1910.
In 1910 the family moved from the cottage at 'Warge Rock" to their new home at "Wilga Park". My grandfather Jim, tells the story that on the day they moved he rode his pony beside the sulky and that it felt a very long way, when in fact it was a distance of only a few miles but clearly quite a trek for a 7 year old boy! He also recalled that his grandfather James gave him a gold sovereign to mark the occasion.
MINA & JAMES BLACKWOOD'S CHILDREN
Margaret Anderson nee Williamson
Wilhelmina "Winnie" Newbigging
James Blackwood and Mina continued to live at Wilga Park until their retirement in 1926.
His father James Williamson passed away in 1912 and for some years James Blackwood managed "Warge Rock" which traded under the name Estate of James Williamson & Sons.
In 1915 This partnership was dissolved and James Blackwood became the owner of the block known as "Wilga Park". The family continued to live here until his retirement in 1926 when they moved to their new home at 1 Point Rd, Northwood in Sydney.
It was reported that the call of the land was irresistible though, because in 1936 in partnership with his son William acquired "Mayfield" in the Albert district. James and Mina continued to live in Sydney but maintained this interest until James Blackwood's passing in 1949.
Wilhelmina, Jim, Margaret & Bill Williamson.
JAMES ARTHUR AND AURORA PARK
Following James Blackwood's retirement in 1926, his eldest son, James Arthur, after a short stint in Sydney returned home to work for his Uncle Gordon of "Warge Rock" who had taken over the running of "Aurora Park" property along with his brother Simpson following the accidental death of their brother Joseph Henry "Harry" Williamson in 1919.
At some stage James Arthur (Jim) then took over managing "Aurora Park", then ultimately the ownership - some time before he married Martha Victoria "Queenie" Newbigging in 1937.
This is also when the "Aurora Park" homestead was built.
Jim and Queenie went on to have 5 children, born between 1938 & 1948. They are Beverley, Ross, Darrelle, Ian & Maggi.
Jim & Queenie Williamson
Ross, Beverley & Darrelle
IAN DOUGLAS AND AURORA PARK
Ian, the youngest son of Jim and Queenie married Mary Jennifer Amos in 1971.
First they lived at "Omagh" Albert a property leased and then purchased by them shortly after they married.
Ian, & Jenny, with their children Fiona, Sally, Simpson & Felicity moved back to Aurora Park in 1979 when Jim & Queenie retired to Tullamore.
Ian & Jenny Williamson
Mary Jennifer 'Jenny' Williamson
Fiona & Felicity Williamson
& Nikki Mudge
Evie, Lily, Jim & Archie
Last but not least we have the sixth generation Lily, Archie, Evie & Jim. Time will determine if the agricultural life will choose them, but the opportunity will be there if they decide it is.